As a child, I spent every spare moment engrossed in a book. My love of reading stemmed from my family, who constantly read to me. My kindergarten-teaching mother also greatly influenced my love of language and books.
Growing up, the first books I learned to read were A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh series. Even before I learned to read, I loved Pooh. Mom videotaped three-year-old me as I sat in the hallway with a bowl of popcorn, a glass of milk, and a tale of my beloved bear and his quirky
friends. I was convinced that I knew how to read, but really I was making up the story as I turned each page.
Winnie the Pooh was my first obsession. Pooh books, movies, and stuffed animals filled my bookshelves. After I actually learned how to read, Pooh helped me to discover that books were capable of transforming my world into something completely different. Within moments of turning the first page, I was suddenly playing Poohsticks and having adventures in the "Hunner" Acre Wood. I was so enthralled with Pooh's world that I copied Christopher Robin's outfit--
yellow shirt, jean shorts, and red shoes--nearly every day.
I credit Mr. Milne and his highly exciting creations for piquing my love of reading. Growing older, I have not been able to read for pleasure as much as I want to. Young Adult literature is my favorite genre, so I am eager to explore new texts and find new favorites in this class!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment