Thursday, January 21, 2010

First seminar

Today our class experienced our first seminar--it covered James Hurst's The Scarlet Ibis.

Dr. Roberts posed a question to start our seminar, and then she allowed a few minutes for each of us to write our thoughts on the topic.

She asked, "Who is the most invested character in this story?"

My response:
I think the person who's most invested in the story is Doodle's brother. Since the story is written in his perspective, Brother shares his thoughts, feelings, and motives through his words. His initial motivation to teach Doodle how to walk was selfish (". . . Doodle walked only because I was ashamed of having a crippled brother"). However, I think that, when Doodle started making real progress and the boys bonded over their time spent together, Brother began to help Doodle for reasons other than selfishness. Doodle's and Brother's camaraderie strengthened as the boys tackled obstacles throughout the story.

Favorite quote: "We never spoke (What are the words that can solder cracked pride?)"
The "soldering cracked pride" just displays such a command of the English language--I love it.

Quiz question: Why did Brother start teaching Doodle how to walk?
Answer: "I did it for myself, that pride, whose slave I was . . . Doodle walked only because I was ashamed of having a crippled brother."

Real-life question: Describe a moment or event in your life where you acted with an ulterior motive, such as that which prompted Brother to start teaching Doodle how to walk.

Characters: Brother, William Armstrong (Doodle), Mama, Daddy, and Aunt Nicey

No comments:

Post a Comment