Wednesday, January 27, 2010

a reflection and a question

The one thing I remember about children's literature from last week is . . .

that everyone had such great stories about how they were introduced to reading or which books really affected them when they were younger. I think it's safe to say that the parents of Meredith students likely read to their children quite frequently. Early exposure to literature produces avid readers (which, in turn, creates a passion for lifelong learning). I love how reading affects people differently but profoundly--the same books have such different effects on everyone who reads them.

The one thing I'd like to ask someone about young adults is . . .

How do authors' approaches differ when they are writing to this age group than when they are writing to children or adults? Has anyone figured out the formula for writing mega-hit YA books? Are there similar plot lines, themes, character development traits, etc. that always seem to make #1 hits with young adults?

No comments:

Post a Comment