Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Realistic Fiction

Growing up, I really connected with the realistic fiction genre. That's not to say I didn't enjoy other selections as well, but some of my absolute favorites came from this genre. One of my earliest book series fascinations was Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie. I started reading the books in elementary school--probably second grade or so. I tore through each novel, relishing each word and waiting for the next adventure. As I read, my world was transformed into a simpler time, and I became Laura. I imagined myself running barefoot across the prairie, hot sun beating down on my back, with my faithful dog running alongside. Laura's family somehow became my family, though I realize her story happened hundreds of years before my own. My mother even sewed me a calico dress (and a matching one for my yarn doll, which I carefully crafted from Laura's description of her doll, of course). I became a cardholding member of the Laura Ingalls Wilder fanclub (seriously), and I even bought a Little House on the Prairie cookbook. I still remember trying recipes like griddle cakes and popcorn & milk. With each step, I felt more and more like Laura. After I finished the series, I was thrilled to find books which Laura's daughter and granddaughter wrote. Books like these inspire a lifelong love of reading and learning, and they are of utmost importance in every bookworm's library!

No comments:

Post a Comment