Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Giver

Wow. The Giver certainly does not suffer from the Tom Sawyer effect. I just re-read The Giver after reading it at age 10.

I realize a lot has changed since I was in fifth grade, and I certainly hope that I've matured A LOT since that time.

However, I found the book to be thought-provoking and extremely riveting. It still resonates with me--I can't stop thinking about it. I can't wait for the seminar to hear my classmates' opinions and thoughts on the text. I want to ask a few questions:

-Is The Giver's Rosemary the same Rosemary as the one who was chosen to be the next Receiver? Does he mean "be with her" in Heaven or is she still alive somehow? Is is possible that she a "real" daughter, not just a "family unit" daughter?
-How is Jonas able to experience the snow/sled/Christmas memories as his own--they were transmitted to him and I don't get that. Were they premonitions instead of memories?

I have to read Gathering Blue and The Messenger, though they're apparently not sequels. Still, I'm sure they're amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment